Thursday, August 18, 2005

How to make $340.65 in 1 weekend

I had a blast at the Coldplay concert and I am sure Chris Martin appreciated my new bag. Now that the euphoria has died down a bit I have to turn to more mundane things like how to recoup my losses from my recent shopping binge. I don't think I did that bad. $587 for a concert ticket, a bag and a pair of shoes just doesn't strike me as much. But then that's my problem. $587 for a concert ticket, a bag and a pair of shoes just doesn't strike me as that much when in reality that money saved could probably have made me a millionaire by 90 or something.

Ok, truth is, I don't care all that much about being a millionaire, 90 or not, but I do care about meeting my goals. What bothered me about the sudden burst of spending this week was not that I was spending too much but a) that it was unplanned, b) that it was unnecessary and c) that I could have used that money better.

Last night I spent some time with my new toys, aka MS Money and Quicken, and realized that the Coach bag can come out of my shopping budget. I also have 2 concert tickets in my budget at $75 each. So technically the amount I went over by is $587.65 - $172 - $75 = $340.65

Ways to make $340.65 in 1 weekend

  1. Sign up for Sharebuilder promotion - $50 gain
  2. Sign up for GreatFun trial with $1 and get the $20 gas card - $19 gain ($20-$1)
  3. Sign up for a 5% cashback credit card that works at gas stations - $30 gain (estimated through end of this year)
  4. Sign up for the $100 Sony card offer - $100 gain (i don't know about this as this will lower my credit score & I will just end up paying more when I take out a mortgage. Since I am planning to do that in the next 12 months this may not be a good move for me but for now I will keep it in the list)
  5. Become a mystery shopper - $141.65 (but have to find a legit source to sign up through first so this is also kind of iffy)

Total $340.65

I need backup ideas for #s 4 & 5 just in case they don't pan out.

3 Comments:

At 8/18/2005 1:36 PM, Anonymous Sue said...

I can't wait to see Coldplay in NYC!

 
At 8/18/2005 2:07 PM, Blogger Madame X said...

Re. mystery shopping:
Go to Trendsource

I've done shops for them before. You don't make that much money, but you can get free stuff sometimes, like a movie rental or food.

 
At 8/18/2005 4:45 PM, Blogger mmb said...

Ooh! Sue, you'll love it. Just don't be like me (or my ex) and pay full price. The day before the concert I was kicking myself when I saw a bunch of tickets on craigslist going for half price.

madame x, thanks I will check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home