Friday, August 26, 2005

Nirvana

I can't keep talking about this money stuff all the time. It's such a dry subject. So in the spirit of rebellion I have decided to branch out and talk about anything and everything I feel like. Not sure who I am rebelling against though. Conventional wisdom? Myself? My 2.5 readers? Or maybe it's just this lazy Friday afternoon that's got me antsy. I want to jump into a jeep with the hood down and go offroading. Offroading with my knitting kit (hey, at least no one can accuse me of being a typical girl) Then I can sit in an wood somewhere knitting more itty bitty bikinis while pondering the great mysteries of life.

Or maybe I can find a way to combine my passions -- work, music, art, travel -- with the more mundane things like money.

Kurt Cobain said "Punk is musical freedom. It's saying, doing and playing what you want. In Webster's terms, 'nirvana' means freedom from pain, suffering and the external world, and that's pretty close to my definition of Punk Rock."

Freedom from pain, suffering and the external world. I think we all want that sometimes but we go about it in different ways. Whether it is through anguished lyrics, a plate of fresh baked cookies, a bullet through your head or the prodigal accumulation of wealth. I doubt anyone sets out to kill themselves because they really want to die. They just can't bear to live anymore and death is their freedom. In the same way I don't think anyone sets out to save money because they just really, really like the color green. Most of the time money is a means to an end. An early retirement, the freedom to travel more, to enjoy a lifestyle that they are accustomed to or have been deprived of. What we are looking for is not a bigger bank balance but something else. Something that we think having a bigger bank balance will get us. And sometimes in the process the real goal gets lost and the means become the end. But being free, truly free, means being free of wanting money too.

Or maybe that's just me. I would like to meet my financial goals but I don't want to care whether I am rich or poor.

3 Comments:

At 8/26/2005 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

make that 3.5 readers...*s*

-Adora

 
At 8/26/2005 12:19 PM, Blogger Monty Loree said...

I understand MMB,
I'm doing some research on Freddie Mercury, Gene Simmons, Mick Jagger etc so as to heighten the levity a little.

I want to write about their financial maturity, however, I want to have a little fun doing it.

Freddie Mercury Financial Maturity !!??

 
At 8/27/2005 7:08 PM, Blogger mmb said...

Anon, thanks and welcome. :)

Monty, that sounds like a great article in the making. I'd love to read it when you are done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home