Friday, August 12, 2005

Spending Analysis - Wrap Up

There are three sections at the end of my annual performance review form: keep doing, stop doing, start doing. It's pretty neat. First I get to fill it in and then my boss reviews it and adds his comments. It's kind of an at-a-glance summary of the good and the bad. I have decided to use the same technique to break down my spending habits.

Keep
Basic cable (it's basically broadcast channels but I need the cable for reception
Current cell phone plan (I don't know if there are better deals but $45 a month for 500 anytime minutes + free unlimited in-network calling doesn't seem bad)
Not drinking much coffee or drinking at home
Using regular unleaded gas
Exercising for free
Buying shoes on eBay

Stop
Spending so much on food
Buying books, CDs, movies at full price
Buying more stuff for the home
Paying retail for handbags and clothes
Buying more products (shampoos, soaps, scrubs etc) before using up existing ones

Start
Brownbagging it for lunch (work in progress)
Buying books, CDs, DVDs at discount (BAMM, BMG, Amazon, eBay, half.com, local half-price stores)
Using up things before buying more
Shopping around for the best deals on concert and other tickets and travel packages before booking anything

Maybe I should start tracking how much I save by doing this. Could be interesting. I could invest the savings in something like hedge-funds or ETFs or the million other things that I don't understand and am therefore too chicken to invest my current savings in.

3 Comments:

At 8/16/2005 9:56 AM, Blogger Madame X said...

I'm reading this while eating my brownbag lunch! Hope yours are going well!
This is a good way of looking at your progress.

 
At 8/16/2005 12:52 PM, Blogger mmb said...

Hey, good for you! I am averaging about 2-3 days right now. I got bored with the sandwiches pretty quickly so now I only pack lunch when I cook the night before or go out to dinner (and bring the leftovers home). Still, 2-3 is better than 0.

 
At 8/16/2005 1:01 PM, Blogger 1 said...

I tried brownbagging lunch a few times, and I would spend like $3 on the ingredients for lunch, so I just gave up and went back to deli sandwiches. Good luck.

NYC Money

 

Post a Comment

<< Home