Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Temptation

As I went up the stair
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away

Who was that man? Or maybe there was no man, invisible or otherwise. Maybe the man who wasn't there is symbolism for whatever particular demon that drives you, making you do the things you do. In my case today or this week that'd be the temptation to spend.

$157 - Coldplay concert tickets
$172 - New Coach bag
$232 - Brown BCBGirls pumps
$26.65 - Chanel Portofino

$587.65 total so far

What makes the whole thing so heart warmingly humorous is that not a single thing above was a planned or necessary expense:

The tickets my boyfriend had bought initially but since we broke up it's only fair that I pay for mine.

The bag I decided was a reward for being such a good girl and not buying any new clothes for the concert.

Of course, then I had to buy the shoes because none of my shoes really went with the new bag and there was no time for eBay.

Oh, and I had to get the Chanel Portofino because without that perfect shade of red lipstick my life would have been incomplete today.

I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Maybe the little man who wasn't there is conscience. I can afford to spend $587 every now & then and I have been pretty good since June but I don't "need" any of this stuff and I can't help but feel wasteful. I could have donated this money to United Way, to the tsunami relief fund in Japan, to the earthquake relief fund in Venezuela or to any number of people around the world who need the money more than I do. Of course, I will end up doing just that out of a sense of guilt and then I'd have spent over $1000 by the end of it all. My Microsoft interview went pretty well though (I think) so maybe there's a sign-on bonus in my near future.

Oh well, I will worry about this tomorrow. Right now I am off to see Chris Martin sing!

3 Comments:

At 8/17/2005 10:23 AM, Blogger Ashley said...

I'm so with you on all of this; just the other day I was in the Coach store because I needed a bag (this is a good one) with a solid sturdy leather bottom to take with me when I am traveling abroad this fall. Obviously, the only brand making any sort of bag of that kind is Coach. :) Thankfully I got out of the store wallet intact, but the risk is still present!

 
At 8/17/2005 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate. I can just as easily go to JC Penney or Sears but no, I keep going back to Coach too. I want one of those new scribble totes!!

 
At 8/18/2005 11:38 AM, Blogger mmb said...

Hee! That made me laugh about Coach being the only brand making any sort of bag. Coach does have so many different styles and designs though. I don't think any other brand comes close.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home