Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Who needs change

Apparently not many people.

I have been paying with cash all week and people have started giving me change. The first time it happened on Sunday night I thought it was an aberration, albeit a fortuitous one. I was at Rite Aid buying bulbs at the time. The total came to $4.58 and I was just counting out the change when the girl interrupted me and said, "Just give me $4.51" and to my utter amazement proceeded to conjure up 7 cents out of what appeared to be thin air. Turned out a previous shopper had left his change lying on the counter with the simple explanation that he hated carrying around pennies. Well, good for him.

Then it happened again yesterday at Safeway. I was buying some snacks. This time the total was $7.98. Normally when people are behind me I don't try to count out exact change because I don't want to hold up the line but there was no one behind me this time so I started sorting through my pile of loose change. Suddenly the guy pushes a dime towards me and says, "here." At first I thought I must have dropped it but no, it was his dime. He was offering it to me because turns out he just didn't like carrying change either.

And then it happened again at lunch today. My total was $7.52. I gave the girl $8 and she gave me two quarters back. I started pointing that she gave me too much back when I noticed that she had already grabbed two pennies from somewhere and was dropping them into the cash register.

I can't decide if this is more funny or sad. Guess change does burn a hole in some people's pockets.

2 Comments:

At 8/09/2005 1:48 PM, Blogger Jose Anes said...

This is a spoiled society where people don't value money (the fruit of their own work).

Maybe people are paid too much.

Money and Investing

 
At 8/10/2005 6:39 AM, Blogger Madame X said...

I always think it's kind of nice when there's a "take one or leave one" penny jar so you don't have to break a bill if you're just a little short.
There always seem to be rumblings about the penny being taken out of circulation anyway!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home