Monday, August 29, 2005

Win Some, Lose Some

Spent over the weekend: $91.27

New top $59.99

The world’s cutest baby dynosaur for the world’s cutest baby, my nephew $6.52

Dinner and Live Show at the Crocodile Cafe $0
(I offered to pay but my date said that would hurt his masculinity)

Magazines (In Style, Money) $9.24

KitKat (to go with the magazines) $0.49

Sunday brunch with friends $15.03

Made over the weekend: $5-20k

I posted earlier about my job offer from Msft. The first offer didn't include sign-on bonus. When I asked they came back with 3.5. I asked if they can go up to 5. They said they'd need to think it over.

Just got the email from HR saying they can do 5k. Woo hoo!

I also got two phone calls this morning, one right after another (it's like they timed each other) from the two other interviews I had gone on. The first is a smaller firm downtown. Their offer is $110k start (20k more than I am making right now!!) and requires 50% travel. The second offer is actually through one of my old Andersen managers. He was a great mentor back when I was working for him and I had called him to see if he would have some time for a one on one career discussion. Turned out he was looking for someone in his group and was thrilled to hear I was available so I ended up interviewing with his company. Their offer terms are the same as the MS one (current salary + 5k sign-on bonus). All three offers have full dental/medical blah blah blah and the firm downtown offers an expense account as well.

I love my job. Sure I want to change jobs but that's because of the environment not the work. I hear people talking about retirement and I am always surprised. Why on earth would anyone want to retire? And then I remember that not everyone gets to do what they like. I think if there were more people working at what they enjoy there will be more millionaires. No, really. Bear with me. See, when you do what you love, what you are passionate about, you are not watching the clock or wasting your energy worrying or complaining about your job. All your time and energy goes into getting better at what you do and in the long run that pays bigger dividends than the stock market. That is unless you have a lot of money to invest in stocks right from the go.

Anyway, now I have a dilemma. I have 3 job offers that all seem really good and I can only pick one.

If I take the downtown firm offer I will be traveling a lot and I know from before how quickly that gets old. On the other hand, I will have an expense account, accumulate miles, hotel points and Amex points, always a nice thing. Plus, the office is not that far so my in-town gas expense will stay the same and the work is very similar to what I am doing right now so I can be productive from day 1.

If I take the offer from my old manager I won't be making $110k anytime soon, nor will I get to travel or rack up points but I will be in town, gas expense will stay roughly the same (also downtown), the work will be the same yada yada. The pro here is that I get to hire in at a level above my current level and have more direct reports with a straight path to a director title. Plus I get to work with my old manager who's an absolute inspiration and one of my biggest supporters so I know I will be promoted well within the company.

The Redmond offer, well, is all the way in Redmond which means either driving 40 more miles per day than I do now or taking the bus. Plus, the role is new. It draws on some of my current skills but it promises to be challenging in other ways and it's actually a level down from where I am right now. Or in other words if I take that offer not only am I not getting more money but I am demoting myself. Of the three this seems like the most interesting role though and that attracts me more than the 20k extra with the consulting firm.

Decisions, decisions. I don't have to give any answers till eod Wednesday thankfully so I have 48 hrs to think about this.

7 Comments:

At 8/29/2005 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog. You have great taste and you seem to be doing fine on the career and money front. Good luck with the decision making..

How old are you, if you don't mind my asking?

 
At 8/29/2005 2:35 PM, Blogger mmb said...

Thanks. :) Oh, and I am 30 as of this June. Old! :(

 
At 8/29/2005 3:43 PM, Blogger Monty Loree said...

Hi mmb. thanks for visiting

Let's see. A job with Microsoft. That's pretty darn cool.

Congratulations!

 
At 8/29/2005 4:46 PM, Blogger Money Turtle said...

Don't forget about the additional perks in working for a publicly traded company (stock options, stock purchase plans).

 
At 8/30/2005 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck with your decision, Im sure whichever you choose will be a great one

 
At 8/30/2005 2:02 PM, Blogger mmb said...

Thanks everyone. I am still no closer to making a decision though. I keep going back & forth -- more money, better chances or the more creative job? Grr!

Oh well, I will figure it out by tomorrow.

 
At 8/30/2005 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

30 is young. Good luck

 

Post a Comment

<< Home