Monday, September 26, 2005

The Art of Persuasion

For the greater part of Thursday and Friday I was vacillitating between letting the eBay guy keep my furniture AND the money or taking up Madame X's suggestion and showing up at his doorstep with a baseball bat. But I didn't know how effective the last would have been so for the most part I was leaning towards letting it go. And then, all of a sudden, I got really annoyed with myself. I don't know what triggered it. The news? Supernanny? Hurricane Rita and the repeat devastation of Gulf Coast or the memory of the looters during Katrina? Whatever it was it made me decide that letting it go was not an option. If I did that I would be enabling bad behavior and this guy could go on to bigger and better crimes and become the next crime boss of America!

Okay, so my inner drama queen is probably exaggerating the impact this one transgression could have had on society but I really felt I had to do something. I had already sent the guy two emails, asking if he had changed his mind or if there was a crisis in his household, even offering to go pick up the furniture free of charge if he wanted and he never replied. Then I tried calling him. The first time he cut me short saying he would call me back and the second time he never picked up. So, finally, Saturday morning I called him up and calmly said he could pay me or go to jail. I didn't raise my voice. I just kept repeating, "Class C felony. Mandatory jail sentence." Within hours the money was in my PayPal account.

What really upsets me about this whole thing is that as long as I was being nice I was getting nowhere. Anyway, maybe if Microsoft doesn’t work out I have a future as a collections officer. Or maybe not. I don't want to go through that again. But then, once I open my own business won't I have to deal with stuff like this all the time? I am planning to put in some custom furnishings and a granite countertop in the condo and chances are that I will come across builders and carpenters who don't always do what they promised. So who knows, maybe this was good practice for the future. For now though I think I will stick to buying and selling on eBay.

5 Comments:

At 9/26/2005 12:49 PM, Blogger Madame X said...

You go girl! Open a can of whoop-ass on 'em! Now you can change the title of your blog to "The Enforcer's Personal Finance Journal!"

 
At 9/26/2005 4:57 PM, Blogger Caitlin said...

Seriously! I wouldn't exactly call your hesitation "being nice" -- I think it was healthy conflict avoidance...that wasn't getting you your da** money! ;)

I love the mantra....

 
At 9/26/2005 7:20 PM, Blogger NYRSean said...

Way to go! I love it when you're right, you know it, and you let them know it in a way that they can't ignore. No need for violence, because a little anger and assertiveness goes a long way. Congrats.

 
At 9/26/2005 7:21 PM, Blogger NYRSean said...

Way to go! I love it when you're right, you know it, and you let them know it in a way that they can't ignore. No need for violence, because a little anger and assertiveness goes a long way. Congrats.

 
At 9/27/2005 2:01 PM, Blogger mmb said...

:) Yeah, I am real intimidating over the phone!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home