Thursday, September 22, 2005

The cost of being naive

is $300. At least in my case. I posted in Raised: $340.65 and then some that I made $300 through an impromptu furniture sale. I did make the sale i.e. we agreed on a price and the guy removed the furniture from my place. But I was a little hasty in counting my chickens ... I never saw the payment.

In retrospect it probably wasn't the smartest thing letting a strange man walk out of my home with $1000 worth of stuff but I had no reason to distrust him (apart from the fact that he was a total stranger) So he didn't have $300 of cash on him. Who does? He did offer to go get it out of an ATM. And since he was going downstairs anyway it made sense that he take all the stuff down with him. He was going to load it all in his truck and then go get the cash out of his ATM and come back.

Ha! 12 days and counting. The ATM must be a long way away...

I have to figure out what to do about this. My trust in humanity is on shaky grounds.

9 Comments:

At 9/22/2005 5:56 PM, Blogger Money Turtle said...

Ouch! :(

 
At 9/22/2005 6:04 PM, Blogger mmb said...

Is it odd that I find this amusing? I thought the guy was being so nice for offering to go withdraw $300 from an ATM. Serves me right I guess.

 
At 9/23/2005 6:30 AM, Blogger Madame X said...

That is terrible! Go after the guy! Google his phone number or something and show up on his doorstep with a baseball bat!

 
At 9/23/2005 7:45 AM, Anonymous NYC Money said...

That sucks, but you win some, you some.

 
At 9/23/2005 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think this is exactly win some, lose some. This is theft. I second Madame X, go after the guy or file a police report.

 
At 9/24/2005 10:51 PM, Blogger SimpleKind said...

I wonder if the guy was a professional grifter or a guy who just decided not to come back. If you have information about him I would file with the police. Even a good description of him and his car would be good. And if something happens in the future, like you run into him you will have the report to fall back on.

 
At 9/25/2005 9:13 AM, Blogger Caitlin said...

that stinks! ugh. Though it's not a bad thing to be trusting in general so don't loose faith in humanity ;)

 
At 9/27/2005 12:15 PM, Blogger Jose Anes said...

Human are selfish by nature. It is education that makes us good.

Guess not everyone is educated in the same way.
Money And Investing

 
At 9/30/2005 7:56 PM, Anonymous Jonathan@MyMoneyBlog said...

I nice note saying you're calling the police should get you your money.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home