Sunday, September 11, 2005

Raised: $340.65 and then some

The condo decision has been a big distraction and I had almost forgotten about my resolve to raise the $340.65 extra I spent in honor of my first Coldplay concert. Almost that is, but not quite. Here's part 1 and part 2 of the series in case anyone's new to this epic saga or needs a refresher. This constitutes the concluding portion of what has undoubtedly been a monumental enough challenge and accomplishment to deserve full 3 posts on the subject.

To quickly recap, I spent $587.65 in preparation of the concert (which demanded, simply demanded, new bag, shoes, pit tickets and lipstick), did some math and realized I went over budget by $340.65 and instead of spending time kicking myself for giving in to temptation, a previously favorite pastime of mine, decided to take the more constructive approach of recouping the loss.

As of today here's how much I have raised:

Sharebuilder - $50
Gas card from Great Fun online - $19 ($20 - $1 for signing up)
Sony card - $100
eBay - $108 ($134 - $26 shipping & fees)
Impromptu furniture sale to the nice man who came to pick up his eBay table - $300

It went something like this: Nice man looks around and says, "Nice place you have here." MMB looks around, points and says, "Those chairs are for sale. Throwaway prices. You want them? How about that picture too? It'd look smashing over your new table you know!"

I was on fire. I think the guy bought all the extra stuff because he was too taken aback to protest! Anyway, so now my total is $577, $236 more than I set out to raise. Come to think of it, if I raise another $10.65 then it would be like the Coldplay concert and the bag and the shoes etc were free! That's exciting. I feel like the energizer bunny. I could just keep going.

Yes, I know, I am getting carried away. It was so much fun though. I had a project to raise money. It was short, measurable and completing it was a quick win. Maybe I should try this approach with other things. Simply wanting to save more doesn't inspire me but to save more or to raise money for something specific acts as a tremendous incentive. Maybe my next goal would be to raise money for yoga classes. I think I have gone as far as I can bend on my own.

I haven't signed up for magazine subscriptions yet. For one thing, I have been working mad hours ever since I handed in my notice and for another, I have had a number of different things to preoccupy me. Then again.. Someone once told me that there are two kinds of busy people in the world. Those who are always complaining they never have time and those who say "I'll make time." I fall in the second group which means whenever I use lack of time as an excuse I know that there's something else stopping me. And in this case, I know what it is. I am still convinced that the moment I sign up for certain magazines I will change my mind about wanting them and then I will be stuck. I just need to do it.

A couple of quick money-related updates: My microwave died on me this morning. It was beeping plaintively last night but I thought that was only because I forgot to press "clear off" or something. And then it fell into this sullen silence which in my naivete I thought was a good thing but that turned out to be a false sense of comfort because now it's dead. Dead, dead, dead. And given that my culinary skills rely heavily on my ability to heat things I am looking at spending a lot of money eating out this week.

The second piece of news is this: Right after being hit with the above I came across something to cheer me up. Turns out my MS offer package includes a stock award of 380 units. I am sure the MS recruiter must have mentioned it but I never noticed until I was going over the joining package today. At first 380 didn't sound like much but hey, that's 380 units of MS stock and it's in addition to my 5k sign-on cash bonus! Not bad.

Still no condo decision.

3 Comments:

At 9/12/2005 11:25 AM, Anonymous Sarah said...

good job! you showed quick thinking on your feet and that paid off.

 
At 9/12/2005 2:33 PM, Blogger mmb said...

Thanks. I didn't even know those chairs were for sale until I started making the sales pitch. :)

 
At 9/21/2005 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Coldplay during their recent tour, too. Man, what a dissapointment. Do yourself a favor and go see Radiohead next time they're in town :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home