Monday, October 10, 2005

Analyze this

For the greater part this week I have been marvelling at the fact that I spent zero dollars out of pocket over 5 days. Can you imagine how much more I would save each year if I went back to consulting full time? And then, this weekend, I had my answer. I would save nothing more.

Lunch Friday - $12.50
Dinner Friday - $60
Breakfast Saturday - $17
Shopping Saturday - $192
Lunch Saturday - $33.60
Dinner Saturday - $75

Total for the week = $390.10
Total spent the first 5 days of the week = $0
Total spent the last 2 days of the week = $390.10
Total weekly budget for food & discretionary items = $192
Amount I went over by this week = $198.10

Friday and Saturday went by in a blur. I think I was eating out and shopping to fill some kind of a void left by the whirlwind week before. Now that I think of it the 3 years I spent on the road were kind of like that too. New places, new faces that soon become distant memories and weekends spent trying to recapture something I have lost during the week without even knowing what it is that I have lost. Maybe for the stronger willed among us it is an exercise in discipline just like any other and this will sound like an excuse but there's some truth to the term retail therapy. It's a way for people to fill a void in their lives or connect or avoid connecting as the case may be. If we were all perfectly centered and had nothing to compensate for we wouldn't need to spend so much. But then, if we were that centered we probably wouldn't care one way or the other how much we were saving or spending or about a lot of other things for that matter and life would be devoid of the everyday complexities that make it interesting. There's something to be said for flaws after all.

Tomorrow I start brownbagging again.

4 Comments:

At 10/11/2005 6:16 PM, Blogger Caitlin said...

viva la brown bag!

I can totally id with this post...after being away all week on business it's like I am a wet overcooked noodle and I just want food made for me (takeout! restaurants!) and I could see how retail therapy can be appealing in those moments. I just don't leave my house on the weekend ;) so I am spared (for now)

 
At 10/11/2005 11:31 PM, Anonymous UncommonWay said...

I guess I have some kind of hangup about spending that kind of money. I normally just skip breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner while I'm at school, and then have a snackfest when I get home. Perhaps it's a poor health choice, but it is a pretty good money saving choice.

 
At 10/12/2005 9:54 AM, Blogger mmb said...

I have the same hangup too. Normally I don't spend that kind of money either but when I am on a business trip I can expense $75 dinners so sometimes when I come home I am in that spending mode. This weekend was especially bad though.

Caitlin, would you believe I didn't leave my house most of the weekend and still spent that much? I had some friends come over both Friday and Saturday night which partly contributed to the high bills. They brought the party games, movies and the drinks, I got the food.

 
At 11/07/2005 8:35 PM, Blogger Easton Ellsworth said...

I helped put a financial information website up a few months ago, and I remember thinking a lot about personal finance and the importance of saving as much as possible. I try to save whenever I can, but pizza and other tasty things tend to be weakness. I should just turn off the TV so the commercials don't tempt me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home