Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The healing power of opposing dysfunctions

I am the queen of brownbagging this week. I have been making do with what was in my refrigerator, freezer and pantry since Sunday. In fact, I haven't spent a penny on food since Saturday's dinner. 4 day total = $0.

Wonder what that says about me? I have a pretty balanced life but not because I have a balanced approach so much as because my dysfunctions are often of two extremes that cancel each other out. Take my wardrobe for example. I love fashion but I hate clutter. So I generally buy the best, most stylish thing I can afford but not too many at a time.

Maybe there's a better, more balanced, approach but for now this seems to be working for me. If I ever start wanting to buy every designer shoe in the market or to eat out at fancy restaurants every night I'll have to revisit this.

3 Comments:

At 10/13/2005 7:15 AM, Anonymous FMF said...

You're saving TONS of money.

Let's say lunch out would cost you only $5 (it's probably higher than this, but we'll go on the low side -- we can say it's probably at least the difference between the cost of eating out and the cost of the leftovers you're bringing in). With 250 working days in a year, you're saving $1,250 per year, $12,500 per decade or $50,000 over a 40-year career. Add in returns at 10% on the savings and it gets much, much higher.

Not that anyone would NEVER eat out, but the example shows a compelling point: little changes on a daily basis can add up to significant savings.

 
At 10/13/2005 9:47 AM, Blogger mmb said...

Good point. I used to overspend on food because I never really did the math on how the little amounts add up. Now I am easily saving $1200-1500 per year by brownbagging and also by giving up my Starbuck's frappuccino habit. The latter was costing me $385 a year. Until I did the math I always thought of it as "only $3.50."

 
At 10/13/2005 7:15 PM, Blogger Caitlin said...

Good job on the brown bagging. I gotta admit I am having a little trouble with my "pantry challenge" but plan to make headway this weekend.

re: your frappucino...I guess that "latte factor" thing can really work ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home