Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The shoes!

In a show with such snappy dialogues as "Squirrels are just rats with cuter outfits" and "Manolo Blahnik!" uttered with the same reverence that Archimedes must have felt for his discovery when he ran naked through the streets of ancient Greece yelling "Eureka!" it is cruel to expect substance of any kind or information of any use. I mean seriously, they didn't even list the names of all the sex positions for the rest of us to try out. However, Sex and the City did serve a purpose. It allowed some people to be vicariously cool, it gave some people the affirmation they needed that they are cool and it gave some other people something to laugh at. Now I don't know who Paul Ford is or how cool he is considered by people who wear pink pom poms on their feet but in my world he is mucho cool (and I hope he forgives me for saying "mucho cool") ever since I discovered his article about recasting Sex and the City as a Beckett play.

From the Paul Ford article:

I prefer to imagine the show as a black-box play from the 1970s with Beckettian overtones, three women on an empty stage, looking at the audience, speaking in monotones:

1: I doubt I am fecund.
2: I have eaten so little.
3: Where are the men?
1: There are no men.
2: I will pay a woman $40 to caress and decorate my toes with varnish. I will wear shoes that cost more than the weekly wages of a restaurant worker, with tips.
3: What kind of tips?
2: Not on the shoes, for the restaurant workers.
1: I am hungry. I will not marry.
2: Talk about the shoes.
3: The shoes!
Unison: Shoes.

These are "The shoes!" I didn't buy today:

The ones I really wanted were the green Louboutins but I wasn't sure if that giant metal flower in the middle will work at a wedding so I was leaning towards the more demure black Choos. The Zanottis are up there just because they are so wickedly S&M with that ankle wrap that I couldn't pass up the opportunity to post a picture. But alas, I have a lifetime net worth goal to meet and new shoes will just have to wait. I don't want to become a Beckettian parody, particularly when I probably already have something wedding-appropriate in my closet...

6 Comments:

At 10/25/2005 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

New York breeds its own kind of shallow.

 
At 10/26/2005 5:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, she's not from New York! Read before you post some ignorance.

BTW, those shoes are fabulous and I am proud of you for passing them by.

 
At 10/26/2005 10:36 AM, Blogger mmb said...

Thanks. They are gorgeous but I am proud of myself for passing them by too. :)

 
At 10/26/2005 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha! I wasn't talking about her. I meant people in New York City like the ones that stupid show revolved around. Those living in Manhattan and Upper East Side.

 
At 10/26/2005 7:29 PM, Blogger Caitlin said...

that green is such a great color, and they are nice...but I'm proud of you too for what it's worth :)

 
At 10/31/2007 4:07 PM, Blogger Fashion said...

Great shoes.....I like your shoes!!!!!Thats cool collections fromcaterpillar shoes.....nice pics....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home