Wednesday, November 16, 2005

It's a wrap

Well, I am done with most of my shopping and thanks to a mix of practiced frugality, creative cajoling and natural inertia I am actually under budget. I traded in the white iPod nano I received from my fairwell for a black one my coworker just bought for himself and gave him a $50 iTunes gift certificate as a thank you for being my knight in shining armor. Guess this is what they call win-win. He got a brand new nano at a $50 discount and I got something I know my brother wants. Cost - $50, savings - $199. For a girl who still hasn't balanced a checkbook that's not too bad.

Wish I could say though that I was this successful in all my shopping endeavors but it was a bit of a hit or miss at times. The best deal I found on the earrings for my sister-in-law was 15% off and free shipping. Couldn't find the slippers for my sister for less than retail so ended up buying them at Nordstrom for full price. Mom's perfume on the other hand was less than 1/3 of it's retail price on eBay. And while I was shopping at Sephora with the 20% off Friends & Family code (thanks to a very generous sales assistant) I decided to pick up gifts for several people since I was already there which turned out to be cheaper than what I had originally planned for them.

This is the first time in years I got all my Christmas shopping done so early. There are only two things on my list that I didn't get -- Nickel Creek concert tickets because they were all sold out and the laptop for my dad because he decided he wants golf clubs instead. At last tally here's where my holiday shopping stands:

Total spent = $777.98
Total saved = $407 off retail

Okay, so I am not exactly going to be under budget after all's said and done but I am going to be a lot closer to my $800 cap than I had initially thought. Plus since I am already approved for the mortgage (have to check if there is a time limit on the rate lock) I can go ahead and apply for the Citi Dividend Platinum card which should more than make up for the difference.

As for the condo, I am not selling it. I received the offer in writing last Thursday, spent a night tossing and turning and drawing up pros and cons. Ultimately it came down to my love for Seattle vs my love for moving. I don't know how long I will be in Seattle. It was never my goal to stay in one place too long and I haven't. But I don't think I am taking off for anywhere else anytime soon.

My next post will probably be sometime mid-Dec unless I happen to log on in the middle of my vacation. It's been known to happen but even if it does I probably won't post much. I want to take the time to enjoy the beautiful scenery, think through some things and come back with a clear idea of where I want to go with this blog and my financial future.

5 Comments:

At 11/17/2005 9:34 AM, Blogger Madame X said...

Have a great time on your vacation, and glad to hear you made a decision on your condo-- it sounds like a great place that you'll be really happy in.

 
At 11/17/2005 4:41 PM, Blogger mmb said...

Thanks madame x!

 
At 11/18/2005 12:34 PM, Anonymous dan said...

Did you have the cost breakdown? Did you take it down?

 
At 12/12/2005 4:47 PM, Blogger mmb said...

Dan, I did but then I took it down. From moment to moment I get paranoid that someone I know may be reading this. No one I know cares 2 whits about personal finance or I wouldn't be so clueless so I need to stop worrying. :) .. I will add the details back.

 
At 2/14/2006 3:19 AM, Anonymous Refinance morgage said...

This is my project.
Good luck and best regards.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home