Saturday, December 31, 2005

And so it goes

There's a Billy Joel song by the same title. "And so it goes." It's sort of a bittersweet song, one I identify with, corny as that may be, and a fitting way to ring out the year that has been bittersweet to say the least.

At the beginning of the year I was a little cash poor and generally without a care, in June I hit a bus, a breakup and a turning point, in that order, in July I started this blog, in August I went to the Coldplay concert, learned that people will give you change when you pay with cash and contributed to the Katrina effort, in September I started a new job and reported my biggest 1-month net worth gain to date, in October I met J and panicked that I may like him (which is not a good thing when you are determined to avoid romance at all costs and die alone), in November I went to an Indian wedding and in December I went a little crazy with the credit cards.

But all that's behind me. It's time to start anew. I used to wonder why there was such a big hoopla around New Year's. It's just another day after all. You go to sleep, you wake up the next morning and if it wasn't for a 4 digit number that changed by 1 nobody would be any the wiser. So, what's the big deal? Now I think we need something like New Year's as much for psychological reasons as financial. Just as it allows businesses and governments to close out an accounting period, it allows individuals the chance to close a chapter in their life and start another. Sometimes it's more like a paragraph than a chapter, and then sometimes .. like now ... it's a new start, in ways both big and small, some that I know of , some that I hope for and some that I cannot see.

I am a reluctant New Year's party goer. I like the getting dressed part. The new dress, the strappy heels, the demure but dangly earrings, the long, fluttery lashes and the sparkling raspberry lipgloss. I even like the drinks, and the food (occasionally), and the music. And of course, if I am going to someone's party it's because I like them. It's just all of it together and people in party hats screaming "Ten!.. Nine!.. Eight!.. Happy New Year!" in unison that makes me want to throw my drink at someone. I don't know why that is. Maybe I am lacking in the proper New Year's spirit. But anyway, I have a party to go to. Maybe it's for the good. This way when I wake up tomorrow there will be no doubt in my mind that this year is done and over with. It has to be. We celebrated its demise.

Tomorrow I will post my last net worth update of 2005 and some changes for the next year. To my sporadic readers who undoubtedly land here through nothing but vagaries of fate and despite their better intentions of reading something more relevant or informative or at least marginally entertaining, and who succumb to the power of my prose only because it's too painful to look away ... einen guten rutsch!

5 Comments:

At 12/31/2005 9:40 PM, Blogger LeighAnn said...

Do we share the same brain??

 
At 1/05/2006 9:37 AM, Blogger Madame X said...

You also bought a condo this year, that is a pretty major event! Any updates on that? When will construction be finished?

 
At 1/05/2006 11:08 AM, Blogger mmb said...

Yes, I realized I missed the condo when I read it but for some reason didn't feel like updating the post. The construction is due to be finished Feb 2007 with my unit ready for occupancy in March-April. Too long...

 
At 1/06/2006 8:19 AM, Blogger Madame X said...

Wow, Feb 07 is a long way away. I believe you said you were able to lock in a mortgage at today's current rates? That is amazing given the time frame...

 
At 1/06/2006 11:55 AM, Blogger mmb said...

I didn't get a fixed rate lock. It's an ARM. You can generally get an ARM lock on preconstruction units.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home