Monday, January 16, 2006

2005 & 2006 Roth

Ok, so I set up the funds transfer yesterday. I know it takes a while but I am transferring from my cash core account to my Roth account so it's not like it's coming from another bank. Checked this morning and the money still isn't there. Given that I have recently developed the sleeping patterns of a nocturnal animal and am still required to stay up all day, compounded with general professional and personal stress, this is not good. Hopefully, it will show up soon. In the meantime, here are the 3 funds I am considering:

DODFX - My brokerage is 75% US stocks & bonds so even if I keep all my Roth in a foreign stocks fund I am still diversified overall. Plus, I have had this for a while and it's one of the few that turns in a consistently solid performance.

FCNTX - Another fund I like although for slightly different reasons is FCNTX. If I were to pick individual stocks to build my own mutual fund I would use the same strategy that this fund employs, namely that of buying stocks of companies that are either going unnoticed but has the potential to hit it big or that of companies that have fallen out of favor with investors but are positioned for a comeback. Of course, that's what also makes it risky. Plus, because of the fund's penchant for going for the underdogs it is very possible to end up with a mix of growth and value stocks at any time. Since I am neither a value nor growth-oriented investor though that doesn't really bother me.

VDEQX - Or I can just play it safe and put everything on Vanguard's new DiverSified Equity fund. The asset allocation for this fund is about 80% large cap and 20% small to mid cap and it's a collection of other Vanguard funds so it's a nice way to buy into a fund family.

Update: 1-something pm. - "Yeah, hi. I did a money transfer yesterday from individual to Roth. And, it's not showing up. I was hoping you could help me with that." Brokerage a/c rep: "Yeah, sure. Let's take a look. ...Hmm, that's odd."

"Hmm, that's odd" now tops my list of things you do not want your brokerage rep to say.

1 Comments:

At 1/16/2006 7:37 PM, Blogger Caitlin said...

maybe the holiday had something to do with it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home