Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Next steps

Microsoft's annual women's conference started today. It's a 3 day event where women from all over the company come to share experiences and ideas, network and generally marvel at the fact that for a company this big there are so very few women in high places. Of course, when I said I resigned I didn't mean effective today. After I made my decision the first thing I did was to talk to my boss, communicate my decision in a professional manner and ask how much time he would like for transition. The good news is that I am still getting paid for a few more weeks. Plus, I made some new contacts today and set up some informationals. At this point I have no intention of coming back to work here but there is always the possibility that I am just in the wrong place and another opening may be a better fit.
For the next few weeks I will be wrapped up in finalizing my deliverables and training a replacement. After that I plan to take some time to straighten out my investments and make sure I have sufficient cash available to cover several months of living expenses. And then to figure out what I really want to do with the rest of my life. When I was 4 years old my uncle had asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up. He says I didn't skip a bit. I said I wanted to run my own company. It's true. I have always wanted to do that. But I have financial responsibilities towards my family and that sometimes makes it a little harder to take risks. I have also always wanted to take a year off and travel around the world but responsibilities got in the way of that too. My immediate goal now is to try to increase my net worth to 198k by February. Out of that I plan to keep 140k combined in investments and retirement funds, allocate 40k to supporting my parents & towards emergencies and 18k for basic living expenses for myself. Once that's done I can start thinking about the future...

5 Comments:

At 1/10/2006 7:15 PM, Anonymous Jane Dough said...

Quitting a new job without another offer is always a scary thing to do. Hopefully it will all work out well for you. As others have said, sometimes walking away and starting again is the best. It is a shame you could not try to stick it out until the 6 month hump. I have found that time marker to be my best indication of how good or bad the new job really is.

But as you point out, sometimes it is not the company or even the assigned tasks, but the people who make or break a job.

Now the important thing is to just wrap up the job and try not to burn any bridges. Good Luck!

 
At 1/11/2006 11:48 AM, Blogger Poe said...

I hope everything works out as well. Although resigning a job without the offer of another IS scary, I admire you for realizing what you want to do or what you do not want to do with life. Reading this post made me feel as if there're endless possibilities out there in life ...not just a 9-5 job..and that there are people who are pursuing such paths.

 
At 1/11/2006 12:32 PM, Anonymous nycmoney said...

One of the reasons why I left corporate America to run my company was because ALL the bosses were WHITE MEN. It's demoralizing.

I'm still wondering what I want to do with my life five years after making the same decision you did. I was incredibly stressed running my own business. Now a job at the post office is sounding really nice. (This is my old age talking.)

Best of luck.

 
At 1/13/2006 10:12 AM, Blogger mmb said...

NYC, you crack me up. The job in a post office may not be so stress-free though. They gave us the phrase "going postal" after all. :) What stressed you out about running your business? The uncertainty, the hard work or the people interaction? Depending on your answer you may want to look at a career that limits the things that stress you out (e.g. if people are your main source of stress, a career in the service industry may not be the best fit) and look for the things that give you the biggest satisfaction. A life coach can help actually.

Poe & Jane, thanks. And yes, it IS scary. I will be lying if I said I didn't/don't have moments of anxiety about my decision. But I will be more unhappy if I stay at a job that doesn't excite and challenge me than if I have to go without a steady source of income for a few months.

 
At 1/14/2006 3:55 PM, Anonymous dan said...

Congratulations on your decision. Too many people stay at a job they don't like and then crib about it. You are doing something. That takes courage. Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home