Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Progress (or lack thereof)

The delights of unemployment are myriad not the least of which being the curious absence of the copious free time that you would expect to have during it. Where does the free time go? Seriously. I think I have been more busy without a job than I was with. The good news - I have actually had 2 successful consultations as a personal shopper of Seattle's would-be fashionables along with a few smaller, more humble ones although I am going with the rather conventional definition of success here ($$) rather than my own (job satisfaction) when I call it that. The not so good news - I have pretty much been living off my savings and what with the market downturn the picture's getting ugly. So, after much soul-searching and many sleepless nights I have decided to head back to the corporate world, but with different expectations, smaller paycheck and more free time to pursue my goal of owning my own personal shopping & image consulting business. Or in other words, I am joining back the rat race as a Flex Time worker. I start tomorrow. I will still be an employee but I will only work 27 hrs a week instead of 40 - Wed through Fri - and devote the rest of my week to building up my humble list of personal shopper clients. And, of course, blogging!

7 Comments:

At 6/13/2006 7:50 PM, Anonymous sixpack said...

Welcome back! That sounds like you've got a rejuvenated view of life and a great plan. I wish you the best of luck.

 
At 6/13/2006 9:34 PM, Blogger Money Turtle said...

Congrats! It's nice to see you back!

 
At 6/15/2006 1:11 PM, Blogger mmb said...

Thanks. I need to do a net worth report to kick things off.

 
At 6/29/2006 2:06 AM, Blogger Genesis said...

Hi there,

Good day, really hope that by now you have manage to find a idea job. In the past, i also thought of getting a lower pay check means shorter committment in terms of hours. Sad to confess that this is not true, i change from high pay check to a low one but the hours and responsibilities increase more than double.

I'm just like you who value own time and truely believe that we are not born only to work. I value my saturdays thus i quit the job which requires me to go back on Sat( It was not communicate to me that i have to work on sat during the interview).

Now i'm without a job and tried looking for another one but whenever i told them the truth of why i quit before any back up plan, i was treated as fleek.

I will continue to work hard in job searching.

 
At 1/06/2007 8:11 AM, Blogger fin_indie said...

Have you stopped blogging or still taking a break? Found you on networthiq and stumbled upon your blog...

http://retiringearly.blogspot.com

 
At 11/25/2010 5:59 AM, Blogger play sports said...

Nice post ! Find the out the invest ment strategies in Africa invest in africa

 
At 11/28/2011 11:44 AM, Anonymous Hew metode de facut bani pe net said...

Yeap the free time goes by even faster.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home